Owens Corning Earns Place on Dow Jones Sustainability World Index for Sixth Straight Year
By Business Wire News
By Business Wire News
For the sixth year in a row, Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) has earned placement in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI World) in recognition of its sustainability initiatives.
For the third straight year, Owens Corning was named the Industry Leader for the DJSI World Building Products group.
Composed of global sustainability leaders, the DJSI World is an elite listing of the world’s largest companies based on long-term economic, environmental and social criteria.
“We are honored to have earned placement again this year,” said Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Mike Thaman. “Our people and products make the world a better place. That simple and powerful purpose defines Owens Corning today, as well as the company we are building for the future.”
“Continuing our steady progress toward shrinking our environmental footprint, we are even more energized as we expand our impact through our positive handprint,” said Chief Sustainability Officer Frank O’Brien-Bernini. “Collaborating up and down the value chain, we make buildings more energy efficient, roofs more durable and resistant to extreme weather, cars more fuel efficient, renewable energy more cost effective and our company a better corporate citizen.”
Launched in 1999, the DJSI World is the first global index to track the financial performance of the leading sustainability-driven companies worldwide based on an analysis of financially material economic, environmental, and social factors. The DJSI follow a best-in-class approach, including companies across all industries that outperform their peers in numerous sustainability metrics.
Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across all three of its business segments: Insulation, Roofing and Composites. The company recently reported its sustainability progress in its ninth Sustainability Report. Some highlights include:
- Industry-leading track record of safety performance, which earned Owens Corning the 2014 Green Cross for Safety medal from the National Safety Council.
- Sustained environmental footprint progress, including intensity reductions of 34 percent in greenhouse gas and 65 percent in toxic air emissions from its 2010 baseline.
- Facilitated 2.4 billion pounds of end-of-life recycled shingles and consumed 1.3 billion pounds of recycled glass, year-over-year increases of 33 percent and 15 percent respectively.
- Launch of the new WindStrand® high performance glass fiber roving and Ultrablade® fiberglass reinforcement fabric products, which enable longer and lighter wind blades. This advancement supports the continued growth of economical wind energy for low-wind sites.
- Participation in community programs at more than half of our worldwide facilities. This included increasing access to basic health and educational needs for more than 19,000 children in India, China and Mexico.
- Collaboration with the Harvard School of Public Health to strengthen its wellness programs
Owens Corning’s 2014 Sustainability Report and a downloadable summary progress report are available online at: http://sustainability.owenscorning.com.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2014 sales of $5.3 billion and employs about 15,000 people in 26 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 61 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
Chuck Hartlage, 419-248-5395
Thierry Denis, 419-248-5748