Trevali recovers final two of eight workers killed in Burkina Faso mine flood
The Canadian PressHealth & Safety Mining & Resources
VANCOUVER (CP) – Trevali Mining Corp. says it has recovered the bodies of the final two of eight workers killed after its Perkoa Mine in Burkina Faso flooded following heavy rainfall on April 16.
The bodies of six workers were recovered by search teams late last month.
The first of the two remaining workers was discovered on June 8 at 640 metres below ground, while the second was recovered on Sunday at 670 metres.
The Vancouver-based miner says it is working alongside Burkinabe authorities is it co-ordinates the dewatering and rehabilitation of the mine.
The flooding event is under investigation by the company and government authorities.
Trevali says the mining and milling operations at Perkoa will remain suspended for the foreseeable future and it has suspended its production and cost guidance for 2022 relating to the mine.
“This is a profoundly sad day for the families, friends, and colleagues of the eight workers who lost their lives. All of us at Trevali grieve the loss and offer our deepest condolences to our colleagues’ families and friends during this difficult time,” stated CEO Ricus Grimbeek in a news release.
To date, 137 million litres of water and 5,860 cubic metres of solids have been removed from the mine.