MRO Magazine

Company extracting metals from asbestos waste gets $12M from Ottawa


Industry

October 22, 2018
By Mia Rabson

Industries

Ottawa gave $12 million on Friday to help a company extract
magnesium from the waste of closed asbestos mines – despite warnings
from Quebec’s public health officers that the province’s workplace
protections are still lacking.

The federal funding for Alliance Magnesium came a day after the
government unveiled its national ban against the use, import or
export of deadly asbestos, which carves out an exemption for mining
residues.

Alliance Magnesium has developed technology to extract magnesium
from the more than 800 million tonnes of asbestos tailings near the
now-closed mines in the Quebec towns of Thetford Mines and Asbestos.

Company president Joel Fournier told The Canadian Press the
technology involves destroying the asbestos left in the tailings in
acid, and said workers are well protected during the process.

Advertisment

However, the public health directors of all 18 Quebec health
regions warned Environment Minister Catherine McKenna earlier this
year that exempting mine residues from the asbestos ban was risky
without proper workplace safety standards in place.

The Quebec standard, they said, allows for asbestos exposure that
is 10 times greater than the national standard, and 100 times
greater than the standards put in place in many European countries.

The health directors said extracting magnesium is one option to
remediate the sites containing asbestos tailings, but warned the
process can generate toxic dust beyond just asbestos fibres and
proper precautions must be required. Other options for remediation
could include burying the tailings back inside the holes left by the
mines, or establishing a safety perimeter around the tailings to
allow for the sites to be covered over by natural vegetation.

In a letter to the Quebec health officials earlier this year,
McKenna said she was “satisfied that these proposed regulations,
along with existing provincial controls, will address the health
risks associated with asbestos mining residues.”

For much of the 20th century, asbestos was a popular material for
use in hundreds of products like insulation, roofing shingles, and
floor tiles, because the fibres are resistant to heat.

The World Health Organization says all forms of asbestos cause
cancer. In Canada, asbestos diseases including lung cancer,
mesothelioma cancer and asbestosis lung disease, are the leading
cause of workplace-related death.

Some countries began banning asbestos in the 1990s and the
European Union barred it in 2005. But Canada resisted a ban for
years and prevented the most common form of asbestos from being
added to an international list of toxic substances that can’t be
exported without warnings attached. Canada’s objections largely
stemmed from the existence of the two Quebec mines, and Canada
continued to export the product to countries that were found not to
have sufficient protections in place for the workers who were
exposed to it.

In 2011, both mines closed, largely because demand for asbestos
was so low, and in 2016 the Liberals announced they would ban its
use, import and export. The regulations enacting that ban were
approved by cabinet in September and take effect on December 31.

Asbestos disease can take several decades to appear, and the
incidence of it and deaths from it are rising. In 2016, 510
Canadians died of mesothelioma, a 75 per cent increase in annual
deaths since 2000. In 2015, another 475 people were diagnosed with
it, but that figure does not include Quebec data because that
province no longer reports the incidence to Statistics Canada.

The Quebec public health officials said in their note to
Environment Canada last spring that incidence of mesothelioma was
higher in Quebec, particularly in regions near the two mines.