“Building on a 90-year legacy, the latest edition of the CE Code enables electrical workers to follow best practices that help ensure safety as new technologies become embedded in our everyday lives – at home and at work,” says Mary Cianchetti, President of Standards at CSA Group.
Input from stakeholders is a critical component in developing the CE Code. CSA Group takes a consensus-based approach to all standards work, drawing on the expertise of over 1,600 in-house technical experts, as well as more than 9,000 volunteer subject-matter experts from across the globe.
The latest edition of the CE Code includes over 260 updates and revisions aimed at improving clarity through streamlined requirements; helping ensure safer installation and maintenance of electrical equipment; and supporting the safe implementation of new technologies and renewable energy solutions. Some of the major changes include:
- A new sub-section of rules for power over Ethernet (POE) cables
- The addition of demand factors for electric vehicle energy management systems
- The installation of an identified conductor at each control location for energy management system control devices
- Disconnecting means for certain LED luminaires
- Tamper resistant receptacles in other areas where children may be present
- Mandated ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) protection for electric heating devices and controls near wet areas
- New requirements in Section 78 to help prevent electric shock drowning
To help users navigate the sheer number of changes and their impact on many different industries, CSA Group has developed a range of training solutions and electronic tools so organizations and their employees can work more safely and remain competitive.
CSA Group is one of the largest standards development organizations in North America, conducting research and developing standards for a broad range of technologies and functional areas. CSA Group is also a global provider of testing, inspection, and certification services for products in many market sectors, and a leader in safety and environmental certification for Canada and the U.S. www.csagroup.org
Source: CSA Group