Volunteers and AmeriCorps Members with the St. Bernard Project in New Orleans Work around the Clock for Two Days Rebuilding Homes Damaged by Hurricane Katrina
By Business Wire News
By Business Wire News
St. Bernard Project:
St. Bernard Project (SBP) will host a 48 Hour Build, where volunteers and AmeriCorps members will work around-the-clock to repair three homes damaged by Hurricane Katrina. The build will be followed by Welcome Home Parties, where homeowners will return to their repaired homes for the first time in 10 years. SBP is a national disaster recovery and resilience non-profit organization that has rebuilt more homes, post-Katrina, than any other organization. Entergy Corporation is the title sponsor of the build, with support from other companies.
The recovery is far from over. Ten years after Katrina, more than 5,000 families who owned homes before the hurricane remain displaced. Requests for help to SBP are on the rise – up 25% this year.
4566 Viola St., New Orleans, LA 70126
Aug. 26, 10 am CT: 48 Hour Build Opening Event
|– Wendy Spencer, CEO, Corporation for National & Community Service (CNCS)|
|– Zack Rosenburg and Liz McCartney, Co-Founders, St. Bernard Project|
|– Patty Riddlebarger, Director of Corporate Social Responsibility, Entergy|
|– Homeowner and volunteers from Entergy|
|– Local elected officials|
Aug. 28, 10 am CT:48 Build Closing Event and Welcome Home Party
– Julian Castro, Secretary, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
– Bill Basl, Director, AmeriCorps
–Zack Rosenburg and Liz McCartney, Co-Founders, St. Bernard Project
– Leo Denault, Chairman and CEO, Entergy Corporation
– Homeowner and volunteers from Entergy
– Local elected officials
Additional Coverage Opportunities:
- Aug 27, SBP Groundbreaking Event(1:30 pm CT) – The new state-of-the-art facility will house SBP’s national headquarters, construction training facility, Disaster Resilience and Recovery Lab as well as affordable housing. 2645 Toulouse St., New Orleans, LA, 70119
- Aug 29, SBP Day of Service (8:30 am – 12:30 pm CT) – SBP volunteers will repair the home at 3772 Louisa St., New Orleans, LA, 70126; Welcome Home Party (1:30 pm CT) SBP will celebrate the completion of work on 3638 Metropolitan New Orleans, LA 70126 and welcome the owner home.
Interviews Available Upon Request Throughout the 48 Hour Build.
Please contact Alyssa Sullivan, Alyssa.Sullivan@Finsbury.com, 617-899-8631.
About St. Bernard Project: SBP exists to reduce the time between disaster and recovery. Since its founding in 2006 in St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana – by a teacher and lawyer from Washington, DC with no construction experience – following the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina, SBP has rebuilt homes for more than 950 families with the help of 100,000 volunteers in New Orleans; Joplin, MO; Staten Island, NY; Rockaway, NY; Monmouth County, NJ; and San Marcos, Texas. SBP is reinforced by AmeriCorps, which provides 140 members annually to manage worksites and clients, and train the organization’s volunteers nationally.
Through its Disaster Resilience and Recovery Lab, SBP works to share lessons learned, prevent common barriers to recovery and help communities utilize SBP’s standardized, repeatable and proven-effective model. To learn more, visit www.stbernardproject.org and follow @stbernardproj on Twitter.
For St. Bernard Project
Alyssa Sullivan, 617-899-8631