Rolls-Royce Launches New MTU Onsite Energy Compact Generator Sets Featuring Converted On-Highway Engines
By Business Wire News
By Business Wire News
Rolls-Royce today announced the availability of new generator sets from MTU Onsite Energy with a power output range of 80-200 kWe and featuring Mercedes-Benz engines.
This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150820005182/en/
New MTU Onsite Energy compact generator sets from Rolls-Royce produce 80-200 kWe and feature Mercedes-Benz diesel engines. (Photo: Business Wire)
The new 4R0120 and 6R0120 generator sets, containing Mercedes-Benz OM924LA and OM926LA diesel engines, respectively, represent the first time these proven on-highway engines have been adapted for power generation applications.
These compact products allow MTU Onsite Energy customers to achieve greater performance and reliability than was previously available at lower power nodes. MTU Onsite Energy is part of Rolls-Royce Power Systems within the Land & Sea division of Rolls-Royce.
Additional features of the generator sets include:
- Engines equipped with EPA Tier 3 electronic fuel systems
- New rear or side-facing control panel
- New weatherproof base and enclosure
Engineered for Excellence
MTU Onsite Energy’s 80-200 kWe product line is the result of a three-year collaboration between MTU Onsite Energy and Daimler AG. Taking an on-highway engine predominantly used in the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter van, the engineering team at MTU Onsite Energy converted the engine for use in an off-highway power generation application for the first time.
Following the on- to off-highway diesel engine conversion, the complete generator sets were subjected to runtime endurance tests. For nearly three months, the generator sets operated for 24 hours a day while enduring wide load ranges and weather conditions. During the rigorous testing, each generator set was run on an automated load bank that incorporated strenuous load steps, including a 0 percent to 100 percent load demand step every hour throughout the 2,000-hour runtime period. Additionally, the generator sets were tested in temperatures ranging from -31° F (-35° C) to 75° F (24° C).
The new compact units performed as expected, demonstrating high efficiency and superb reliability.
“These new generator sets are designed to provide customers with the excellence in product performance, quality and efficiency that they expect from MTU Onsite Energy,” said Al Prosser, director of sales at MTU Onsite Energy. “This advanced optimization within the 80 to 200 kWe power range is a true reflection of our ongoing dedication to meeting the needs of our customers.”
For more information on the complete product line available from MTU Onsite Energy, please visit: www.mtuonsiteenergy.com. Stay connected with MTU Onsite Energy on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/mtu-onsite-energy.
Press photos are available for download from http://www.rrpowersystems.com/press/press-pictures/
About Rolls-Royce Holdings plc
1. Rolls-Royce’s vision is to create better power for a changing world via two main business divisions, Aerospace and Land & Sea. These business divisions address markets with two strong technology platforms, gas turbines and reciprocating engines. Aerospace comprises Civil Aerospace and Defence Aerospace. Land & Sea comprises Marine, Nuclear and Power Systems.
2. Rolls-Royce Power Systems is headquartered in Friedrichshafen in southern Germany and employs around 11,000 people. The product portfolio includes MTU-brand high-speed engines and propulsion systems for ships, power generation, heavy land, rail and defence vehicles and for the oil and gas industry. Under the MTU Onsite Energy brand, the company markets diesel gensets for emergency, base load and peak load applications as well as cogeneration plants using gas engines for the combined generation of heat and power. Bergen medium-speed engines power ships and power generation applications. L’Orange completes the portfolio with fuel injection systems for large engines.
3. Rolls-Royce has customers in more than 120 countries, comprising more than 380 airlines and leasing customers, 160 armed forces, 4,000 marine customers including 70 navies, and more than 5,000 power and nuclear customers.
4. Our business is focused on the 4Cs:
- Customer – placing the customer at the heart of our business
- Concentration – deciding where to grow and where not to
- Cost – continually looking to increase efficiency
- Cash – improving financial performance.
5. Annual underlying revenue was $22.6 billion in 2014, around half of which came from the provision of aftermarket services. The firm and announced order book stood at $120.8 billion on June 30, 2015.
6. In 2014, Rolls-Royce invested $1.9 billion on research and development. We also support a global network of 31 University Technology Centres, which position Rolls-Royce engineers at the forefront of scientific research.
7. Rolls-Royce employs over 54,000 people in more than 50 countries. Over 15,500 of these are engineers.
8. The Group has a strong commitment to apprentice and graduate recruitment and to further developing employee skills. In 2014 we employed 354 graduates and 357 apprentices through our worldwide training programs. Globally we have over 1,000 Rolls-Royce STEM ambassadors who are actively involved in education programs and activities; we have set ourselves a target to reach 6 million people through our STEM outreach activities by 2020.