PPG Foundation Donates $89,000 to Greater Pittsburgh Educational Initiatives
By Business Wire News
By Business Wire News
The PPG Foundation recently donated a combined $89,000 to support educational initiatives in the Pittsburgh area, where PPG (NYSE:PPG) maintains its global headquarters and several facilities. The grants highlight PPG’s commitment to supporting its local communities and the foundation’s top priority of increasing educational opportunities for youth in the areas of math and technology.
The grant recipients and programs were:
- Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania – $50,000 to support the development of Discovery Place, an interactive exhibition and learning space for children to inspire and foster science, technology, engineering and math skills
- ASSET Incorporated – $15,000 to underwrite the costs of professional development programs and courses for under-resourced educators to teach inquiry-centered science, technology, engineering and math subjects. The grant also funds related research-based, hands-on learning materials for their students
- Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh – $10,000 to support Super Science, a program that provides children with opportunities to engage in hands-on science activities
- Barrels by the Bay – $9,000 for a program inviting students in area schools to use vibrant paints and their imagination to decorate white plastic rain barrels for later use in lessons about water conservation
- National Aviary – $5,000 to support aviary programs that bring bright, colorful feathered visitors and related education to patients at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC
“We are pleased to support these great educational initiatives in PPG’s hometown,” said Sue Sloan, executive director of the PPG Foundation. “We believe it’s important to prepare today’s youth for the opportunities that will be available to them in advanced manufacturing and also to stimulate their curiosity about the world around them.”
The PPG Foundation aims to bring color and brightness to PPG communities in the United States. By investing in educational opportunities, we help grow today’s skilled workforce and develop tomorrow’s innovators in industries related to coatings and specialty materials. Plus, we empower PPG employees to make an impact for causes that are important to them by supporting their volunteer efforts and charitable giving. Learn more at www.ppgcommunities.com and follow @PPG_Communities on Twitter.
PPG: WE PROTECT AND BEAUTIFY THE WORLD™
At PPG (NYSE:PPG), we work every day to develop and deliver the paints, coatings and materials that our customers have trusted for more than 130 years. Through dedication and creativity, we solve our customers’ biggest challenges, collaborating closely to find the right path forward. With headquarters in Pittsburgh, we operate and innovate in more than 70 countries and reported net sales of $15.3 billion in 2015. We serve customers in construction, consumer products, industrial and transportation markets and aftermarkets. To learn more, visit www.ppg.com.
We protect and beautify the world is a trademark and the PPG Logo is a registered trademark of PPG Industries Ohio, Inc.
PPG Media Contact:
Mark Silvey, +1-412-434-3046