New Version of Univa Grid Engine Now Supports Docker Containers
By Business Wire News
By Business Wire News
Univa, a leading innovator of workload management products, today announced the general availably of its Grid Engine 8.4.0 product. Enterprises can now automatically dispatch and run jobs in Docker containers, from a user specified Docker image, on a Univa Grid Engine cluster. This significant update simplifies running complex applications in a Grid Engine cluster and reduces configuration and OS issues. Grid Engine 8.4.0 isolates user applications into their own container, avoiding conflict with other jobs on the system and enables legacy applications in Docker containers and non-container applications to run in the same cluster.
“Grid Engine 8.4.0 is a significant upgrade for us with the support and integration of Docker containers,” said Bill Bryce, Vice President of Products at Univa. “We recognize the need for developers to manage all of the different moving parts of an app and funnel in their updates to reduce complexity and run more efficiently.”
Additional Docker support includes:
- Docker Directory Mapping – maps user directories outside of a Docker container into a Docker container during a job run, making it easier to transfer files
- Full Job Control of Docker Containers – provides Grid Engine with the ability to suspend, resume or kill existing jobs running in containers
- Full Job Accounting for Docker Containers – provides accounting information for the job running in the Docker container
- Run Parallel Jobs in Docker Containers – Users can submit parallel jobs to Grid Engine that will run on multiple machines in Docker containers
- Automatic Handling – input, output and error files for Docker jobs
- Run Interactive Applications in Docker Containers – Grid Engine Interactive sessions can run inside a container
Another key feature update is preview support for Intel’s Xeon Phi Knights Landing processor. Univa Grid Engine can launch and control jobs on Intel’s KNL machines, extending the current Intel Xeon Phi integration to the latest KNL processors. This update simplifies running and managing Intel Xeon Phi based applications on the cluster.
Lastly, administrators can examine different aspects of Univa Grid Engine 8.4.0 to determine if a type of job, configuration or infrastructure outside of Univa Grid Engine is causing issues and slowdowns with the system profiling feature. This reduces the time spent diagnosing issues in clusters and provides a much needed tool for Univa Grid Engine Administrators.
In addition to the main features listed there above, there are more than 80+ issues fixed in Univa Grid Engine 8.4.0.
Univa Grid Engine
Univa Grid Engine is the leading workload management system. The solution maximizes the use of shared resources in a datacenter and applies advanced policy management tools to deliver products and results faster, more efficiently, and with lower overall costs. The product can be deployed in any technology environment, including containers: on-premise, cloud or hybrid cloud. A variety of add-ons can be utilized to extend workload management capabilities and create a customized solution for any enterprise infrastructure. For more information, please visit www.univa.com or follow us on Twitter @Grid_Engine
Univa Grid Engine 8.4.0 is available now and is in production in some of the world’s most demanding environments. For more information, contact Univa at: firstname.lastname@example.org. To download a free trial go to: http://www.univa.com/resources/univa-grid-engine-trial.php.
About Univa Corporation
Univa is the leading innovator of workload management products that optimize performance of applications, services and users. Univa enables enterprises to fully utilize and scale compute resources across on-premise, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures. Advanced reporting and monitoring capabilities provide insights to make scheduling modifications and achieve even faster time-to-results. Univa’s solutions help hundreds of companies to manage thousands of applications and run billions of tasks every day. Univa is headquartered in Chicago, with offices in Canada and Germany. For more information, please visit www.univa.com.
Neil Bendov, +1 (647) 699-8281
- Global Oleochemicals Market Worth USD 27.2 Billion by 2020 – Analysis, Technologies & Forecasts Report 2016-2020 – Key Vendors: AkzoNobel, Cargill, Oleon – Research and Markets
- AeroLift eXpress Receives Positive Responses from U.S. Offshore Ops Companies as it Presents Its Revolutionary Drone-Based Delivery System