iBIO Institute EDUCATE Center Keeps Waukegan Youth Exploring this Summer through Stellar Girls STEM Summer Camp
By Business Wire News
By Business Wire News
More than 70 girls have registered for the first-ever Stellar Girls STEM Summer Camp hosted by the iBIO Institute’s EDUCATE Center and Waukegan to College. The Summer Camp, held in Waukegan, will enhance summer STEM exploration for the 3rd-8th grade participants.
Camp programming consists of fun hands-on activities, sessions with STEM professionals and field trips. The Summer Camp is made possible through generous support of the Astellas USA Foundation and lead sponsor Abbott.
Camp activities will focus on how STEM techniques ensure a more sustainable world and include:
- Making ice cream to explore the science of proteins, enzymes and acids in action as well as energy transfer and phase changes
- Modeling the spread of infection of infectious diseases
- Making new paper from used paper to explore the environmental impacts of deforestation and paper production vs. recycling paper
- Engineering and design challenges involving water recycling and reclamation to understand waste water and water pollutants
- A discussion of “banana blight” and DNA extraction activities to uncover how DNA technology helps to feed the world
“Our mission is to provide high-quality programming that helps diversify the STEM talent pipeline,” says iBIO Institute President and CEO, Warren Ribley. “We know 3rd-8th grade is a critical time where girls decide whether STEM is or is not for them. The Stellar Girls STEM Summer Camps spark girls’ interest and inspires them to begin planning a future in the STEM industries.”
More than 60 volunteers from business and industry will assist the EDUCATE Center throughout the week.
“The Stellar Girls Summer Camp is a wonderful opportunity for girls to be challenged and inspired by leaders in the STEM industry,” said Jeff Winton, president of the Astellas USA Foundation. “Astellas USA Foundation is proud to support the Stellar Girls Camp to encourage more girls to pursue STEM careers and help maintain our nation’s leadership in innovation.”
“Abbott employee volunteers are helping out at the summer camp to share their experiences and help spark an interest in science and engineering,” said Dennis Gilbert, Ph.D., vice president of diagnostics research and development at Abbott. “Working with our employees as role models, girls can see the pathway to a bright future as the inventors and innovators of tomorrow, right here in their own community.”
Anyone is welcome to register and attend Family Day on the last day of camp, June 24, 2016, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.. At Family Day, parents and siblings join the girls for a fun and informative day. Campers will host a STEM fair to show what they have learned during their week. Exhibitors from industry, academia and community organizations will share materials on STEM careers and opportunities for advanced STEM education with campers and their families.
Stellar Girls STEM Summer Camp
June 20-24, 2016 from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Christ Episcopal Church
410 Grand Avenue
Waukegan, IL 60085
About iBIO Institute EDUCATE Center
The iBIO Institute is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that focuses on orchestrating business leadership in delivery of world-class, educational programs and job-creating new technology ventures. The Institute’s EDUCATE Center delivers industry-led science and math programs for teachers and students, thereby inspiring the next generation of innovators and helping restore America’s leadership in technology education. EDUCATE’s hands-on, inquiry-based STEM programs have impacted over 1000 teachers and 90,000 Illinois students since 2003.
About Astellas USA Foundation
Astellas USA Foundation is a tax-exempt, nonprofit corporate foundation that awards grants to support charitable, scientific, literary and educational programs. Learn more at www.astellasusafoundation.org.
- Global Superdisintegrants Market Worth USD 416.5 Million by 2021 – Analysis, Technologies & Forecasts Report 2016-2021 – Key Vendors: Ashland, BASF, DFE Pharma – Research and Markets
- Global Surface Inspection Market Growth of 7.9% CAGR by 2022 – Analysis, Technologies & Forecasts Report 2016-2022 – Key Vendors: AMETEK, ISRA VISION, Omron Corp – Research and Markets