Cars and Light Trucks Share the Spotlight as Honda Canada Reports May Sales
By Business Wire News
Combined May sales of 17,949 units by the Honda and Acura divisions of Honda Canada Inc. represented a 3% decrease versus last year’s sales. The Honda Automobile Division reported May sales of 15,853 units, down 4% versus last year. The Acura Division reported May sales of 2,096 units, up 5% over last year.
“Honda May sales results fell short of expectations, primarily due to an extremely short supply of Fit, which could not be offset by the strong performances of the CR-V and current Pilot ” said Dave Gardner, senior vice president of operations, Honda Canada Inc. “The compact passenger car segment continues to be impacted by a consumer shift to light trucks, yet Civic remains at the top of the segment and retains its position as the best-selling passenger car in Canada. Looking forward, we continue to be very optimistic with the HR-V and all-new Pilot arriving at dealers soon.”
“Year-over-year Acura sales were bolstered by the 2016 RDX, which recently hit dealerships across Canada and Acura sedans showed continued strength, as the TLX luxury sports sedan has set the bar for the brand,” said Gardner.
- Sales of the Canadian-built Civic were up 4% over last year (7,467 units versus 7,185 units in 2014)
- Canadian-built Honda CR-V May sales up 6% over last year (3,644 units sold versus 3,437 in 2014)
- Honda Pilot sales rose 3% in May with 600 units sold, breaking a May sales record (versus 580 in 2014)
- Acura sales growth was led by the success of TLX, with a year-over-year increase of 128% (452 units versus 198 in 2014)
- Acura RDX surpassed expectations and set a new May sales record with 828 units sold for year-over-year growth of 15% (versus 720 units sold in 2014)
Honda Canada Inc. was founded in 1969. It has produced more than seven million cars and trucks since 1986 at its two manufacturing facilities and builds engines at a third manufacturing plant in Alliston, Ontario. Both manufacturing facilities are extremely flexible and currently build Honda Civic and CR-V models. Honda Canada has invested more than $3.9 billion in Canada and each year it sources nearly $2.1 billion in goods and services from Canadian suppliers. Honda Canada has sold more than four million Honda and Acura passenger cars and light-duty trucks in Canada.
|HONDA CANADA INC.||HONDA CANADA INC.|
|RETAIL SALES – MTD||RETAIL SALES – YTD|
|MODEL||2015||2014||% Change||Model||2015||2014||% Change|
|HONDA division||15,853||16,507||-4.0%||HONDA division||57,160||58,293||-1.9%|
|ACURA division||2,096||2,005||4.5%||ACURA division||8,085||7,706||4.9%|
|Honda Canada Inc.||17,949||18,512||-3.0%||Honda Canada Inc.||65,245||65,999||-1.1%|
Honda Canada Inc.
Laura Heasman, (416) 318-8686