ASE Receives 2015 Taiwan Corporate Sustainability Awards
By Business Wire News
By Business Wire News
Advanced Semiconductor Engineering, Inc. (TSE: 2311, NYSE: ASX) today announced that its IC ATM (semiconductor assembly, testing and material) operations, has received the silver medal in the ‘Taiwan Top 50 Corporate Sustainability Report Awards in the large enterprises – electronics segment’; while its EMS (electronic manufacturing services) operations was accorded the bronze medal in the ‘Taiwan Corporate Sustainability Report Awards in the large enterprises – electronics industry segment’.
The Taiwan Corporate Sustainability Awards (TCSA) is hosted by the Taiwan Institute for Sustainable Energy (TAISE) and is deemed the most prestigious corporate sustainability award in Taiwan. The sustainability report awards recognize outstanding Taiwan enterprises (including international enterprises operating in Taiwan) in their corporate sustainability reporting and sustainability efforts and are benchmarked against the internationally acclaimed GRI G4 standards.
“Our approach to corporate responsibility is to augment our ability to compete long-term through the efficient use, custodianship and development of global finite resources,” said Dr. Tien Wu, COO and Corporate Social Responsibility Committee Chairman, ASE. “It is indeed a great honor for ASE to receive the Corporate Sustainability Awards and is strong testament to our commitment and continued focus on promoting a company culture built on sustainable practices and innovation.”
Recent highlights of ASE’s sustainability efforts include:
- In July 2014, ASE issued Asia’s first US$300 million corporate green bond as part of our efforts to mitigate climate change and reduce carbon footprint. Through this funding, ASE has executed a series of environmental protection activities including green buildings, energy efficiency enhancement and water recycling projects. To date, ASE has achieved 12 green building accreditations (9 Taiwan EEWH and 3 US LEED) and has another 18 green building projects undergoing certification. In October 2015, ASE’s wastewater treatment and recycling plant in Kaohsiung marked its first milestone in its water conservation efforts with an accumulated output volume of 1 million metric tons of recycled water.
- Globally, ASE has put in place aggressive sustainability plans for 20 factory sites to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and water consumption, and to increase recycling and reuse rates.
- To maximize sustainability in business and to enhance our competitiveness, ASE also actively promotes a green supply chain. The company is a member of the Electronic Industry Citizenship Coalition (EICC) since February 2015. This year, ASE launched the Responsible Supply Chain Management with its supply partners to implement a Green Supply Chain Program to provide leadership and set standards for the backend semiconductor industry to engage in ethical business conduct, employee health and safety, environmental protection and management governance.
- At the local level, ASE participates in programs that focus on promoting environmental education, conservation and improving the quality of life. Over the past 2 years, projects initiated include:
- Promoting green education in schools
- Upgrading more than 25 schools in the Nantze and Nantou areas with 26,000 units of energy saving LED lights
- Reforestation projects in the Kaohsiung municipal area
- Collaboration with the Taiwan Environmental Education Dialogue (TEED)
- Completion of a permeable pavement and eco-walkway around the Nantze Export Processing Zone.
About the ASE Group
The ASE Group is the world’s largest provider of independent semiconductor manufacturing services in assembly, test, materials and design manufacturing. As a global leader geared towards meeting the industry’s ever growing needs for faster, smaller and higher performance chips, the Group develops and offers a wide portfolio of technology and solutions including IC test program design, front-end engineering test, wafer probe, wafer bump, substrate design and supply, wafer level package, flip chip, system-in-package, final test and electronic manufacturing services through Universal Scientific Industrial Co., Ltd. and its subsidiaries, members of the ASE Group. The Group generated sales revenues of US$8.5 billion in 2014 and employs over 68,000 people worldwide. For more information about the ASE Group, visit www.aseglobal.com.
Safe Harbor Notice
This press release contains “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of Section 27A of the United States Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the United States Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, including statements regarding our future results of operations and business prospects. Although these forward-looking statements, which may include statements regarding our future results of operations, financial condition or business prospects, are based on our own information and information from other sources we believe to be reliable, you should not place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which apply only as of the date of this press release. The words “anticipate,” “believe,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “plan” and similar expressions, as they relate to us, are intended to identify these forward-looking statements in this press release. Our actual results of operations, financial condition or business prospects may differ materially from those expressed or implied in these forward-looking statements for a variety of reasons, including risks associated with cyclicality and market conditions in the semiconductor or electronic industry; changes in our regulatory environment, including our ability to comply with new or stricter environmental regulations and to resolve environmental liabilities; demand for the outsourced semiconductor packaging, testing and electronic manufacturing services we offer and for such outsourced services generally; the highly competitive semiconductor or manufacturing industry we are involved in; our ability to introduce new technologies in order to remain competitive; international business activities; our business strategy; our future expansion plans and capital expenditures; the strained relationship between the Republic of China and the People’s Republic of China; general economic and political conditions; the recent global economic crisis; possible disruptions in commercial activities caused by natural or human-induced disasters; fluctuations in foreign currency exchange rates; and other factors. For a discussion of these risks and other factors, please see the documents we file from time to time with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including our 2014 Annual Report on Form 20-F filed on March 18, 2015.