Business Briefs (February 01, 2011)
February 1, 2011
By MRO Magazine
By MRO Magazine
- Gordon A. Duncan, former president of industrial distributor Kinecor LP, has established a new management consulting company, SPAR Consulting Inc., Toronto. Areas of expertise for the company are strategy, acquisitions, manufacturer-distributor relations, pricing and management team development. “I believe that if you develop an effective Strategy, hire the right People, and empower them to take Action, you will get the right Results,” explains Duncan. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Almost 20 years ago, Connie Sonsogno left Lafert North America, Mississauga, ON. And now she’s back. During her time away, she continued to work in the power transmission industry, specializing in metric motors. Now, with more than 30 years experience in all aspects of the electric motor industry, Sonsogno has returned to the Lafert NA sales team. Lafert NA distributes metric motors, pumps and gearboxes. For more information, visit www.lafertna.com.
- Acklands-Grainger Inc., Richmond Hill, ON, Canada’s largest distributor of industrial, safety and fastener supplies, has entered into an asset purchase agreement to acquire the Nova Scotia and New Brunswick business of Wolseley Industrial Products (Amalgamated) Inc., Mississauga, ON, a distributor of industrial, construction, MRO and safety products. Acklands-Grainger expects an incremental sales contribution of approximately $14 million from this acquisition over the next 12 months.
- Stoney Creek, ON-based Mueller Flow Control changed its name to Flocor Inc. on Jan. 20, 2011. “Our name may be new,” says Kevin Fullan, vice-president and general manager, “but our management team and employees remain firmly in place. Our warehouse and office locations, phone numbers and contact people also stay the same. Our new tagline, ‘The Piping Products People’, says everything about us.” Its products include commercial, industrial, waterworks, fire-protection and specialty piping.
- Kaydon Corporation Bearings Division has unveiled a new website, www.kaydonbearings.com, and a new brand message. “The new site … provides more information and a clean, easy-to-navigate design,” said Brian Walters, Kaydon Bearings marketing manager. “It features an improved search function, more product and market information, and additional drawings, specifications and downloads.” It also introduces Kaydon Bearings’ new brand message: Kaydon infinite bearing solutions. “Research showed that our customers value our exceptional engineering expertise and willingness to create virtually infinite solutions for complex bearing challenges,” said Jeff Manzagol, president. “Our new brand conveys that, while also underscoring our position as inventor and leader in thin-section bearings and as North America’s leader in slewing ring bearings.”
- The Bearing Specialists Association (BSA) welcomed 14% more attendees from a record number of companies to its 2011 Winter Meeting, held Jan. 16-18, 2011, at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress in Orlando, FL. John Dunlop, senior project engineer with the American Wind Energy Association, shared information about the role of bearing products in wind energy. BSA’s 2011 Annual Convention, ‘Growing Together: 45 Years Strong,’ takes place April 29-May 2, 2011, at the Hyatt Lost Pines near Austin, TX.