Ontario funds food industry in Northeastern Ontario
The Ontario government is providing $5 million through the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC) to 25 agriculture, aquaculture and food processing projects in Northeastern Ontario.
Projects receiving NOHFC funding include:
- $754,775 for Manitoulin Trout Farms Inc., located in Little Current, to purchase new cages and nets.
- $328,520 for Local Food and Farm Co-ops, operating out of Markstay-Warren, to administer its Healthy Food Distribution North initiative.
- $250,744 for Oshadenah Holsteins, a dairy farm located in Tehkummah, to purchase equipment, build a new barn, renovate its existing barn and construct a manure storage pit.
- $114,530 to establish Gorham Farms, a poultry and beef cattle farm in McKerrow.
- $106,118 to establish Ije’s Place, an African and Caribbean commercial bakery in Desbarats.
“Our government is committed to supporting a robust agri-food sector in Northern Ontario,” said Lisa Thompson, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. “That’s why we are making important investments to help these regions innovate and overcome the barriers for growth. These investments further strengthen the economic potential of the North where there is great opportunity to build our sector, and continue to provide safe, quality food made right here in Ontario.”