Health & Safety inspection blitzes and initiatives
The Ontario Ministry of Labour coordinates a proactive enforcement blitz and initiative schedule for its Occupational Health and Safety Program and the Employment Standards Program.
These programs underscore the importance the ministry places on protecting workers’ rights under both the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) and the Employment Standards Act (ESA), and enhancing employers’ awareness of their responsibilities.
Findings are generally reported soon after completion. The ministry tracks each sector to determine if there are long-lasting improvements in compliance and fewer injuries and fewer contraventions of employment standards.
Upcoming health & safety blitzes include:
- Falls, Industrial (May 16 – July 15, 2016)
- Falls, Mining (May 16 – July 15, 2016)
- Safe Material Tramming Underground and Surface, Mining (September 1 – October 31, 2016)
- Chemical Handling, Industrial (September 19, 2016 – October 31, 2016)
- Processing – Safe Work Practices – Mine Plants, Mining (February 1 – March 31, 2017)
For a complete list of province-wide workplace inspection blitzes for 2016-2017, visit www.labour.gov.on.ca.
Rehana BeggRehana Begg is the editor of Machinery and Equipment MRO magazine and REM – Resource Engineering and Maintenance magazine.
All posts by Rehana Begg