Long Lake Explosion
By MRO Staff
January 18, 2016
By MRO Staff
Nexen continues to respond to the accident which occurred at its Long Lake oil sands facility south of Fort McMurray. The explosion resulted in the death of one employees, while another employee sustained serious injuries.
Nexen reports that its primary focus right now is on the well-being and safety of its employees and on supporting them as they deal with the outcomes of this tragic accident.
Here are the details Nexen is able to share at this time:
– The explosion occurred at our Long Lake site near the hydrocracker unit at approximately 3:20pm on Friday, January 15.
– Nexen’s emergency response plan was activated and response personnel, including first responders from the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, arrived on site.
– Nexen’s leadership team in Long Lake, Calgary and Beijing, were activated and are supporting the response to this crisis.
– Nexen reports that they are devastated to confirm that one employee died in the accident. The employee who was seriously injured was sent to a local hospital and has subsequently been transported to Edmonton for further treatment.
– Immediately following the accident, the affected facility was shut down, and the site has been stabilized. Nexen has also shut down its upgrader and reduced its SAGD facility to minimum rates.
– Employees, contractors and neighbouring communities are Nexen’s primary concern, and the company confirms that it has taken steps to ensure their well-being and safety. Nexen continues to provide them with timely information.
– Nexen notified the regulator immediately and is fully cooperating with authorities investigating this accident. Nexen reports that the company has already begun its own internal investigation to determine what caused this tragic accident.
For more information, visit www.nexencnoocltd.com.