IPAF MCWP committee restructured for renewed safety focus
July 30, 2014 - The IPAF International Mast Climbing Work Platform (MCWP) Committee has been restructured to strengthen its promotion of the safe and effective use of MCWPs around the world.
The IPAF International MCWP Committee now comprises the UK & Ireland MCWP Work Group (formerly the UK & Ireland MCWP Committee), the MCWP Training Work Group, and other local and topic-specific work groups to be formed.
Kevin O’Shea, Director of Safety and Training, Hydro Mobile (Canada), is chair of the IPAF International MCWP Committee and Adrian Bolton, Construction Manager, Alimak Hek (UK), is vice-chair. Darren Brady, Operations Director, Apollo Cradles, is chair of the IPAF UK & Ireland MCWP Work Group and Steven McEwan, Scot-Train, is vice-chair.
Taking up his role as chair of the IPAF UK & Ireland MCWP Work Group, Darren Brady of Apollo Cradles said: “I am passionate about the MCWP industry and I look forward to continuing the good work of this IPAF committee. The committee is fortunate to have some very experienced members in all aspects of the industry. The MCWP industry has suffered in recent years due to the economic downturn, but it is now returning to its original position and still remains one of the safest, most economical ways for men and materials to work at height.”
The UK & Ireland MCWP Work Group, together with the International MCWP Committee, will prioritize these activities in the next months:
· Encourage the MCWP industry to report accidents at the IPAF accident database www.ipaf.org/accident
· Develop and distribute case studies that highlight the safe and effective use of MCWPs
· Deliver presentations, e.g. at the IPAF Summit, that highlight synergies and compatibility of MCWPs and AWPs (aerial work platforms)
· Develop content for the MCWP mini-site www.ipaf.org/mcwp
· Review the MCWP training manual to simplify the language and structure
For more information, visit www.ipaf.org.