Enbridge Gas Distribution fined $50,000 after fire
Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc., a Toronto natural gas distributor, was fined $50,000 for a violation of the Occupational Health and Safety Act after a fire at a worksite.
On Sept. 30, 2009, workers were installing a new section of natural gas pipe inside the company’s Lisgar Gate Pressure Regulating Station in Mississauga. The workers noticed natural gas leaking from a previously installed section of pipe and the site was evacuated. Shortly afterwards, the natural gas ignited, resulting in a fire. Nobody was injured.
Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc. pleaded guilty to failing to take the reasonable precaution of ensuring that acceptable fabrication practices were used.
In July 2011, the contractor on the project, Robert B. Somerville Co. Limited, pleaded guilty to a violation of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and was fined $50,000.
The fine was imposed by Justice of the Peace Michael Barnes. In addition to the fine, the court imposed a 25-per-cent victim fine surcharge, as required by the Provincial Offences Act. The surcharge is credited to a special provincial government fund to assist victims of crime.