MRO Magazine

Company fined $100K after worker electrocuted moving a fan


Industry

March 12, 2012
By PEM Magazine

New Water Plumbing Inc. in Thornhill, Ont., was fined $100,000 for a violation of the Occupational Health and Safety Act after a worker was killed.

On Dec. 23, 2009, two workers from New Water Plumbing Inc. were in the mechanical room of a Toronto condo tower. They had taken a large exhaust fan out of its housing. As the workers were moving the fan, a light fixture they had swung out of the way swung back and hit the fan. Part of the light fixture was damaged, allowing its electrical charge to contact the fan. The worker who was holding the fan at the time was fatally electrocuted.

New Water Plumbing Inc. pleaded guilty to failing to ensure that the fan was lifted, carried or moved in a way that would not endanger a worker.

The fine was imposed by Justice of the Peace Mary Anne Ross Hendriks. In addition to the fine, the court imposed a 25-per-cent victim fine surcharge, as required by the Provincial Offences Act. The surcharge is credited to a special provincial government fund to assist victims of crime.
www.ontario.ca/labour

Advertisment