PTDA celebrates 50 years with industry summit
Against the rich backdrop of Phoenix, Ariz., the PTDA’s 50th Anniversary Industry Summit (Oct. 21 to 23) is designed to help distributors and manufacturers work together to move their companies and the industry forward. Keynote and education sessions help attendees grow their businesses and bottom lines by focusing on using existing capabilities and careful planning to tap into new markets and capturing opportunities.
Themed “A Summit of Possibilities,” there were 676 registered attendees: 160 distributor delegates and 314 manufacturer delegates. The total number of delegates is up 25 percent compared to 2009, and companies represented are up 12 percent from the previous year. There were international delegates from Canada, France, Germany, Mexico, Trinidad and The United Kingdom.
Industry Summit Highlights
- Opening keynote address by Mike Rayburn, the “World’s Funniest Guitar Virtuoso.”
- The inside scoop on the emerging wind energy market with Tom Maves, deputy director, Manufacturing and Supply Chain, from the American Wind Energy Association (AWEA) and Brian Lind, sourcing manager with Iberdrola Renewables.
- Specifics on driving new business by leveraging Web 2.0 for B2B Marketing with David Griffith, president and CEO, Modern Group Ltd.
- Maintain corporate expertise by transferring the skills and knowledge in seasoned employees to others in the company with Wayne Rivers, president of The Family Business Institute Inc.
- Make sense of the economy with noted economist Alan Beaulieu.
- Executive Vice President Mary Sue Lyon was honored for 16 years of service to the association. Lyon is retiring at the end of 2010.
50th Anniversary Activities
• PTDA was founded on February 10, 1960. The first “annual convention” was held later the same year at Chicago’s Hotel Sherman.
• Past leaders and founding members were recognized at the Welcome Breakfast and Keynote
• Seven of the association’s eight founding member companies were represented.
• Nearly 30 of the association’s past Presidents and Manufacturer Council Chairs were present.
Motion Control Technical Conference and Showcase
For the fifth year, the summit included a Motion Control Showcase, featuring 20 motion control suppliers with live demonstrations of the latest hardware. The showcase is targeted at members considering expansion into the motion control arena, looking for additional suppliers to support current offerings or interested in networking with other market players.
The showcase is preceded by the panel discussion Motion Control: Accelerating the Opportunity. This panel discussion breaks down the barriers to expansion and simplifies the steps involved in growing your own Mechatronics business.