MRO Magazine

News

Lax lockout procedures result in arc flash burns to navy worker

Halifax, NS -- Nova Scotia authorities concluded that an arc flash accident that burned a worker aboard a navy ship...


Halifax, NS — Nova Scotia authorities concluded that an arc flash accident that burned a worker aboard a navy ship on February 15, 2007, was caused by the employees failure to follow established lockout and tag-out procedures, reports Canadian OH&S News.

Irving-owned Halifax Shipyard Ltd. was ordered to submit an incident investigation report, ensure lockout and tag-out procedures are followed, and ensure that all employees review these procedures.

As the worker was disconnecting a heater in the sonar room of the HMCS Montreal, the arc flash occurred when heater wires made contact with the live bus-bar of the electrical panel, a conducting bar that carries heavy currents to supply several electric circuits.

The worker was taken to hospital with serious injuries, including first degree burns on the left side of his face and neck. The worker admitted to not following established lockout and tag-out procedures.